Know the facts about carbon monoxide


What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, and toxic gas. Smoking a cigarette; idling a gasoline engine; and burning fuel oil, wood, kerosene, natural gas, and propane all produce CO. High levels of CO can be produced when fuels are burned incompletely.

Where do high levels of CO come from?
High levels of CO can be generated by appliances that are defective or improperly installed or maintained. CO can also enter a home if an appliance venting system or chimney becomes blocked (for example, by a bird's nest).

CO can be deadly!
High levels of CO can make you dizzy, give you headaches, or cause flu-like symptoms In extreme cases, high levels of or extended exposure to CO can result in brain damage or death. Young children; the elderly; people with heart disease; and those under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication are particularly susceptible to CO poisoning.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea
  • Fatigue

CO detectors can improve safety
CO detectors are designed to sound an alarm when they sense excessive levels of CO in the air. We recommend that you consider installing a CO detector listed by UL on each level of your home. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding installation, location, and maintenance. These devices can provide an extra measure of safety.

If you suspect that CO is present - ACT IMMEDIATELY!

  • If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.
  • If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air, and turn off any appliances you suspect may be releasing the CO.
  • If no one has physical symptoms of CO poisoning, but you suspect that CO is present, call your propane retailer or a qualified service technician to check CO levels and your propane equipment.

What can you do to help reduce the risk of CO poisoning?

  • Have a qualified service technician check your propane appliances and venting systems annually, preferably before the heating season begins.
  • Install UL-listed CO detectors on every level of your home.
  • Never use a gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating.
  • Never use portable heaters indoors, unless they are designed and approved for indoor use.
  • Never use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating.
  • Regularly check your appliance exhaust vents for blockage

Signs of improper appliance operation that can generate high CO levels:

  • Sooting, especially on appliances and vents
  • Unfamiliar or burning odor
  • Increased moisture inside of windows

As always, if you have any questions or concerns about the safety or handling of your propane system, please contact us immediately to have one of our qualified technicians take a look at it as soon as possible.

Propane Specials


Propane Specials

Featured Products